Huh?...

In 1968 June Carter and Johnny Cash released the song called "Jackson". The song is all about how they plan to go to Jackson (no duh Sherlock!), well that is just what dad and I are doing- we're going to Jackson (Hole) although not for the same reasons as June and John (that would be really sick...)!
I have heard from a third party that June and John were singing about a different Jackson but I have decided to overlook that, so ok, we're not "just like" June and John but, damn, it's a cool sounding blog title if I don't say so myself.

In our very exciting trip we will be leaving Sydney on the 29th of December for a city I love- San Francisco (San Fran to those in the know ;P). We'll spend 3 nights there and then drive to Yosemite, an apparently "amazing" (quote- parents) national park. There for 3 nights also, then back to San Fran for a night before we head to... you guessed it- Jackson Hole Ski Resort, Wyoming in the US of A. 2 weeks of OMG skiing and scenery before we return home.

Can't wait! Hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I'm going to LOVE experiencing it...

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

We've hit Jackson...

So we woke up after that day in transit and we were still pretty tired. We got into our ski gear and used the shuttle to get from our apartment to the village ready to give the mountain a try.
We decided to hit the easier side of the mountain so we could get our "legs" back. Visibility was pretty bad (stick to the trees people) and it was kind of heavy and chopped up for most of the runs. In these situations I felt incredibly messy but dad says I still looked good (I doubt this) however once we hit the hard packed groomed stuff... damn that felt good! It felt right and good and indescribably incredible!!! To be carving again! (Cue wistful sigh) Dad's first run wasn't quite so smooth... he fell getting on the chairlift. That's right, he fell standing still and then (ooh this part is tricky) sitting down. His balance is looking great isn't it? Then he fell again going down. I guess it must be said that I fell too but let's compare and contrast; I fell doing a jump in my first run in a year, in the fog and heavy chopped stuff. Dad fell standing still and then moving slowly on a relatively flat slope.
Then on the next run, dad discover that he hadn't adjusted his boots well. They were hurting. So we took a lunch stop to readjust and set out again. Well, the boots were feeling better but the previous day's late night was starting to take it's toll, we were tired. So we turned in early and headed back to the apartment. At this point we reviewed our TV options- pretty good with an excellent mix of crap,crap, crap and some reasonable stuff. 60 channels of crap (including a redneck reality tv channel which is kind of entertaining in a I'm-laughing-at-you-because-I-am-so-totally-superior-to-you-in-every-way-possible kind of way) and 5 ok ones. On the aforementioned redneck channel I watched a home renovation show with a difference. Welcome to "Mobile Home Disasters". You know those homes in trailer parks that look like those rentable cabins but people live in them permanently? Yep, this is a whole show dedicated to renovating those and those only. 'Turning trailer trash into trailer class' is the tagline. I wish I was making this up, I really do. The renovators and the recipients had such 'special' personalities. Yeah, 'special' that's a good word for it. Hahaha... I think the worst person was the host. He kept trying to crack these really dreadful jokes and he seemed to really and truly support one of the home-owners hopes to store their motorbike inside. He never seemed to do any work and was constantly insulting his fellow renovators. Because of this, they all hated him. The second worst was the male home-owner who wanted the motorbike inside. He seemed to think this was a totally reasonable request. Yeah, lets keep the fuming, smoking, disgusting, metal, roaring monster in the sun room, great idea! I guess it is the redneck channel... Oh and in the ad-breaks they kept advertising this show called 'My Big Redneck Wedding' and my, my it looked 'spectacular'. The advertised bride to be described her wedding as perfect but from the snippets I saw I think I'd say something more along the lines of... horrific, scary, traumatic, scarring... a joke?
For dinner we went to the Mangy Moose. The collection of movie posters, nick nacks, artefacts and general stuff was astounding and kinda cool. I spent half the time scanning the movie posters plastered across the roof in the hopes of finding one that I recognised. I think I found 2 and both of them weren't actual ones that I recognised but just earlier versions of movies that I do know...of. The service was great and the people were really friendly.
That is about it for yesterday... I don't think we have pics... I'll check.

No comments:

Post a Comment