Huh?...

In 1968 June Carter and Johnny Cash released the song called "Jackson". The song is all about how they plan to go to Jackson (no duh Sherlock!), well that is just what dad and I are doing- we're going to Jackson (Hole) although not for the same reasons as June and John (that would be really sick...)!
I have heard from a third party that June and John were singing about a different Jackson but I have decided to overlook that, so ok, we're not "just like" June and John but, damn, it's a cool sounding blog title if I don't say so myself.

In our very exciting trip we will be leaving Sydney on the 29th of December for a city I love- San Francisco (San Fran to those in the know ;P). We'll spend 3 nights there and then drive to Yosemite, an apparently "amazing" (quote- parents) national park. There for 3 nights also, then back to San Fran for a night before we head to... you guessed it- Jackson Hole Ski Resort, Wyoming in the US of A. 2 weeks of OMG skiing and scenery before we return home.

Can't wait! Hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I'm going to LOVE experiencing it...

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Towning around in some pretty un-ski-able weather

Today I woke up at half past 11, a good 13 and a half hours sleep. I have been instructed to say that this is because my daddy is just sooo nice (and good at falling over on flat surfaces). Anyway, the real reason he let me sleep in is because it was warm, practically blizzarding and the snow falling in that blizzard was of no great quality. In other words- no fun for skiing. Instead we decided to spend the day checking out town.
We caught the bus in and our first step was to get some food (we hadn't eaten yet). We went to this diner/restaurant place and dad got a burger and I got fries. The fries came and they were the weirdest fries I have ever seen. They were like lattice circles with holes and cross-overs... a miracle of cutting. I guess I should have taken a picture... maybe we'll go back and order some to take a picture of...
We looked at nearly every shop in the area and saw a variety of things etc. We also looked at the really cool antler arches. Elk drop their antlers and grow new ones, see? And in the town square they've collected these (dad says the boy scouts do it, awwww how cute!) and made them into arches!!! But they look even better at night because they have pretty fairy-lights wrapped around them (I know this because we saw them when we were being driven from the airport to our apartment).
Something kind of scary was the number of stores selling furs and stuffed dead animals. Sadly, a very successful man here would be a taxidermist.
We also went to the Tom Mengelson gallery. He's a photographer and his gallery is astounding. There are some truly incredible images there, it's beautiful. I was awestruck so many times in there! He has managed to catch some moments that would take incredible patience to capture.
Finally we went to the supermarket here. Holy Beep. It was freaking HUGE. And there was orange cheese... and cheese in a can... and cheese that looked like shredded carrot (or carrot that looked like shredded cheese, I'm still not sure which). I'm sorry if I seem to be focussing on the cheese but it really freaked me out. And there was bank giving out mortgages within the supermarket! While you buy the milk, why not get a $300,000 loan? It's crazy! And all the other weird products you could get... you know how we have vanilla extract/essence/flavouring (whatever you want to call it)? How about some root beer extract/essence etc? It's crazy! Or watermelon essence? Or avocado flavoured pringles (they were green)? And our measley packs of 14 pads? Ah screw it, lets sell mega jumbo sized 100 packs! You the size of nappy packs we sell at home? The packs were the same size. Subtle... Actually I saw similar packs in a mini-mart we went in, in fact they were hard to miss- they took up half the store! The product size/ store size ratio was terrifying.
Afterwards we returned to the apartment where we pretty much lazed about watching tv. Actually, right now we're watching comedy central and the ads are almost as entertaining for us as the shows. The type of ads they show here are so different to the ones they show at home. You know how you get spam emails about "male enhancement products" and new drugs and birth control stuff and all that (women often receiving more male enhancement emails than men)? Well welcome to the next generation of spam, spam tv! Yep, now your tv ads show the same content as those emails we all "love" so much!
Anyway, so goodnight for now and hopefully in my next report I will be able to tell of incredible skiing experiences.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellie
    sounds like jackson is pretty good apart from needing the sun to come out. I am writing this from a internet cafe outside of the taj mahal and your blog music is playing. The Taj Mahal is pretty cool but reading your blog and listening to your music is really great. I head off to Delhi tomorrow then home. Looking forward to getting back home.
    I hope you get some good skiing in on Thursday and the following days.
    Love you dearly
    mum

    ReplyDelete