Huh?...

In 1968 June Carter and Johnny Cash released the song called "Jackson". The song is all about how they plan to go to Jackson (no duh Sherlock!), well that is just what dad and I are doing- we're going to Jackson (Hole) although not for the same reasons as June and John (that would be really sick...)!
I have heard from a third party that June and John were singing about a different Jackson but I have decided to overlook that, so ok, we're not "just like" June and John but, damn, it's a cool sounding blog title if I don't say so myself.

In our very exciting trip we will be leaving Sydney on the 29th of December for a city I love- San Francisco (San Fran to those in the know ;P). We'll spend 3 nights there and then drive to Yosemite, an apparently "amazing" (quote- parents) national park. There for 3 nights also, then back to San Fran for a night before we head to... you guessed it- Jackson Hole Ski Resort, Wyoming in the US of A. 2 weeks of OMG skiing and scenery before we return home.

Can't wait! Hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I'm going to LOVE experiencing it...

Thursday, January 15, 2009

OMFG THEY HAVE ELVIS WINE????????????????

Today we had a relaxed morning. We weren't skiing, instead we were going into town so we could visit the Elk Refuge.
It was nice to wear a pretty top for a change...
So anyway, we went over to the visitor centre because that's where you go to get a sleigh ride tour of the Elk Refuge which is the only way to see it. I'm not just saying that in a "a limo is the only way to arrive at the Oscars" because the sleigh IS literally the only option. You can't walk into the Refuge because it spooks the elk. And yet somehow the big red box on skis they call a sled pulled by two mega whopping horse doesn't... weird, huh?
The deal is you arrive at the visitor centre and they put you on a bus to the Refuge where they transfer you to the sled. You should have seen our bus driver! He was wearing full on chaps but they were totally fluffy. They looked like he was wearing inside out uggs on his legs!!!
Our sled driver's chaps weren't quite so extreme, they were a tad more traditional (if it's possible to have traditional chaps). He knew heaps about elk. And the Refuge. I'm surprised he has room in his brain for other stuff. Maybe he doesn't? Poor guy. Imagine not being able to do 5x7 because all you know is the gestation period for an elk (which happens to be 9 months). But luckily for him I don't think that was the case. He seemed to be able to adequately join in the conversation when it went off topic.
Oops... speaking of off topic, I did it again didn't I? Must be more focussed, must be more focussed...
As well as elk we saw a coyote and a bald eagle in the Refuge. Don't worry though- the coyotes don't bother the elk until they've already died of other causes. They only hunt mice and stuff. In terms of elk, all they do is clear away the garbage. My god that sounds horrible! How could I have written that? Well it is true and it is certainly much better than them killing the elk themselves. Only the wolves do that. But apparently there's only a 5% death rate within the Refuge (that's what the guide said anyway) and much of that is of natural causes.
See, I DID listen! Who said I couldn't focus! Oh wait... that was me.
Afterwards dad and I ate a very late lunch at the Cadillac, home of the awesome waffle fries. And this time we actually took a picture! But it's on my camera and I haven't uploaded that yet but patience children, I'll get there.
Then we did our souvenir shopping. Dad bought some navy blue stuff- he seems very excited about the colour. He gave a whole little speech just about how pleased he was that he had more navy blue stuff. Now he has two navy blue t-shirts and a navy blue jumper! Is it bath time yet Mr Bluey? (I just got a hard pillow whack for writing that so I hope you enjoyed that little line because I had to suffer for it). (But that's ok because I just whacked him back).
We went to the super mega supermarket again too. Turns out they also have a dvd rental atm machine thing outside. I'm telling you this country just gets weirder and weirder. Weird and a little annoying how THEY DON'T INCLUDE TAX IN THEIR PRICE TAG-Y THINGIES!!! At the beginning of the holiday it's kind of just little quirk but near the end the whole plus tax thing really gets on you nerves, ok well mine anyway.
Oops, off track again! And I have a story too!
So, you know how back home they have bottle shops next to Woolworths and Coles sometimes? Yeah, well they have that here too (well you'd expect that considering that they have a mortgage bank in there!). But guess what they have in here that we don't have back home? Wait for it, wait for it...

Elvis Presley Brand Wine!!!!!!!! That's freaking right people! The King has his own line of grape. There was a special edition version in a velveteen box but there was also the normal one. If you call a wine with a label that has a picture of Elvis in a blue version of one his signature suits "normal".

I made dad buy it. He says it has a bouquet of deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwich and a finish that makes you sure it has left the building.
Actually he says it's quite nice. But people, that there was some real comedy.
Afterwards we returned to the apartment and it's been a pretty normal night since. I mean, it is pretty hard to beat seeing Elvis wine in a store.

No comments:

Post a Comment