Huh?...

In 1968 June Carter and Johnny Cash released the song called "Jackson". The song is all about how they plan to go to Jackson (no duh Sherlock!), well that is just what dad and I are doing- we're going to Jackson (Hole) although not for the same reasons as June and John (that would be really sick...)!
I have heard from a third party that June and John were singing about a different Jackson but I have decided to overlook that, so ok, we're not "just like" June and John but, damn, it's a cool sounding blog title if I don't say so myself.

In our very exciting trip we will be leaving Sydney on the 29th of December for a city I love- San Francisco (San Fran to those in the know ;P). We'll spend 3 nights there and then drive to Yosemite, an apparently "amazing" (quote- parents) national park. There for 3 nights also, then back to San Fran for a night before we head to... you guessed it- Jackson Hole Ski Resort, Wyoming in the US of A. 2 weeks of OMG skiing and scenery before we return home.

Can't wait! Hope you enjoy reading about it as much as I'm going to LOVE experiencing it...

Friday, January 2, 2009

There's a bear out there... + lots of ice and rain









The weather today was cold and drizzly at best and pouring and miserable at worst but that aside it must be said that Yosemite is truly amazing.
Dad let me sleep in today (yay) so I don't know what happened before 9 this morning but I'm sure it was pretty. Dad would like me to make sure you all understand that he is not mean and would happily let me sleep in every day but on the other days we have had to get to places. He is happy now... I think.
After breakfast at the still crazy cafeteria we headed off in search of the Yosemite Falls. They were very easy to find. Directions: follow the bus-loads of Japanese/Chinese tourists. Everybody say "PEEEAAACE!!!"
On the hilly path to the base of the falls it was extremely icy and it was a challenge to hold your foot in one place long enough to move the next foot. I was totally planning to boot ski my way down but it turns out the path was a loop and the path that took us back was not nearly as steep or as icy. Instead it was a nice long, slow descent. Bummer. Well at least it was pretty! And we saw a squirrel! Dad was very excited because he is holding out for any "shy forest creature". He is very disappointed that we haven't seen heaps. I tell him it's because they're shy (boom boom), I think he should hold out for more outgoing forest creatures, not "shy forest creatures". We're so funny.
Then we decided to wait for the free village shuttle bus to take us to the visitor centre, the "village" (mega cough cough) and more walks.
At the visitor centre there's heaps of information on the history of Yosemite and some good displays. It also had a display Indian Village nearby which was really interesting.
The "village" consists of two closed restaurants, a sandwich bar, a gift shop, a supermarket and a sport store. I was afraid I'd get lost- not!
From there we decided to catch the bus back to the lodge for some lunch in a shockingly not-crazy cafeteria but before we actually ate, the bus ride took an hour! It went all the way around Yosemite valley! At least the driver was funny.
After lunch we took another round-about bus trip to a place where we were hoping to get a good view of half-dome but it was foggy and raining so we returned to the hotel.
When we were walking back to the room there were lots of people standing outside of the building. When we asked what was going on, we found out that there was a bear cub!!! It was really hard to get a photo though! I gave up but was persistent; he followed it! And he saw it head towards our hire car... hmmm fingers crossed it kept walking!
I am now watching "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" on some TV channel. We'll probably go to the crazy cafeteria for dinner when it's over. Various pictures from today are in this post, probably at the top. There are so many more I would love to add but the connection timed out again. I'll try again another time.

1 comment:

  1. hi Ellie
    fascinated by the c razy cafe .sorry abiout typing here this is a really crazy computer and keyboard. did you see the b aby b ear and w here was mother bvear ?
    i have sent you some te xt messages. love you mum

    ReplyDelete